Offer price: $5.45
Operating System: Any
Application Category: Web Hosting
Bluehost has a reputation, especially in WordPress hosting services. Just like 2 million users, I found Bluehost web hosting service fast and effective in delivering performance. The test site I used recorded 99.99% uptime for a span of 30 days. The customer support agents are highly trained here and attentive, usually replying in seconds.
Bluehost comes with a free domain name, daily automated backups, easy to use cPanel, free migration, and 30 days money refund policy.
Bluehost is hands down one of the most popular web hosts trusted by over 2 million users across the globe. I have been using it for more than 10 years on a few of my blogs.
So, in this post, I will be covering everything about Bluehost, including;
- Its performance (speed, uptime, support)
- Hosting features
- Ease of use
- Bluehost pricing
- cPanel Interface
- Benefits, and drawbacks of using Bluehost
- And more…
After going through this review, you will be able to make a wise decision on Bluehost.
Without much ado, let’s dive into the honest review of Bluehost.
Quick Note: You can always save your time by reading the short Bluehost review summary mentioned at the starting of this article.
Honest Bluehost Review: Is It Worth Your Money In 2023?
|Bluehost Overview (Features)||Details|
|Pricing||Starts from $2.95/mo|
|Free Perks||Free Domain Name, Free CDN, Free SSL, Free Manual Backups|
|Uptime||99.974% (Last 30 Days)|
|Speed Score||97 (Desktop), 82 (Mobile)|
|Refund Policy||30 Days|
|Payment Methods||All International Debit & Credit Cards, PayPal UPI|
|Migration||Free for single WordPress website|
|Customer Support||Live chat, Telephone 24*7, Ticket Email System, Knowledge Base|
|Backups & Restoration||Daily automated backups & 1 click restoration via codeguard|
|Hosting Plans||Shared, WordPress, Managed WordPress, VPS, Dedicated, WooCommerce|
Bluehost Benefits & Downsides
1. Various products available inside Bluehost catalog: Whether you are searching for shared web hosting for your small site or dedicated server hosting for a big complex site, you will get both at an affordable pricing. Plus domain registration & domain transfer can also be done from a single place.
2. Starting with Bluehost is easy & affordable: Just $2.95/month is needed to get the website running.
3. Free Domain name: This is another reason I like Bluehost. Except for the basic plan, you’ll find free domain name benefits attached to all plans.
It helps beginners save an extra $15 and lets them avoid the hassles of DNS configuration.
5. Free SSL certificate: Web security is something you can not overlook these days and with Bluehost, you will get a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate that can be activated within a single click.
6. Plenty of security measures are available: I found almost all security measures available inside Bluehost work on an automation basis – meaning beginners don’t have to worry about configuration and all.
The list of Bluehost Security Features which safeguard your site 24*7 are:
- Resource Protection
- CodeGuard Automated Backups
- Website Firewall
- 24*7 Malware Scanning
- 24*7 Network Monitoring
- Domain Privacy
- Spam Protection
- Hotlink Protection
7. Free CDN: Along with a free SSL certificate, you will also get the most popular Cloudflare CDN for free.
8. Free custom Emails: Next, you’re allowed to create a min 5 custom email addresses (@yourdomainname) for free.
9. 24/7 customer support: Sit relax as you are backed by 24/7 expert customer support including live chat and phone support. Vast knowledge base full of articles, guides, how-tos and YouTube Channel is also there for help.
11. Industry leading cPanel: Each Bluehost plan is included with the industry’s leading control panel, cPanel which makes managing your website even easier. You will find all essential options like backups, themes, installed plugins, etc at your fingertip.
12. 30 Days Money Back Policy: With Bluehost, you will also get a 30 day money-back guarantee that allows you to try their services risk-free for 30 days.
13. Everything Unlimited: Except for the Bluehost Basic plan, you’re allowed to host unlimited websites with unmetered bandwidth, custom email addresses, and much more.
14. Website Builder: Whether you’re looking forward to starting a personal blog or an online store, Bluehost is certainly a good choice because of its easy drag and drop website builder.
15. Daily Automated Backups: Bluehost has received a lot of complaints about the absence of daily backups. But gladly now it offers a daily automated backup facility through Codeguard in all of its plans except Basic.
A few downsides of Bluehost that I don’t like:
- Bluehost does not offer automatic backups in the basic plan. (Well, that you can overcome by using any WordPress backup plugins like UpdraftPlus, ValutPress, etc.)
- Bluehost does not offer monthly plans which means you will have to opt for at least a 12 months plan.
- If you want to migrate 5 or more websites then Migration charges might be applied.
- Renewal costs will bother you the most.
- You might save yourself from Bluehost annoying upselling tricks, but how could you live with the fact that Bluehost doesn’t allow their users to choose the data center manually?
Who is Bluehost For? Final Words on Bluehost
Compiling Bluehost pros and cons, I think beginners should have given a shot to Bluehost. All the required resources with a high performance server are available. The technical hurdles won’t bother them at all as everything (from wordpress installation to backups) is automated here.
Starting with Bluehost is easy, you just need a couple of bucks for onboarding.
For high traffic requirement sites or eCommerce sites, Bluehost top tier performance oriented plans are available. There won’t be any lack of resources. 99.99% uptime ensures smooth web page deliverability across all parts of the world.
Website Performance directly impacts the SEO of webpages and hence website rankings in SERP. Your site must be loaded at lightning-fast speed for delivering a better user experience. For this, you will need a high-performance web host server.
Do Bluehost servers have a capability? Let’s find out.
Bluehost Speed Test:
To find out what Bluehost has for you in terms of speed, I measured the real-time speed of a blog hosted on Bluehost for over a year now using the top 3 website performance testing tools: GTMetrix, Pingdom, and Google PageSpeed Insights.
Here is the GTMetrix result:
You can see the GTmetrix report which shows 97% overall performance and below 1.0s loading time which is just amazing.
Here is the Pingdom Result:
And finally, Here is the Google PageSpeed Results:
Bluehost claims to provide 99.9% uptime. Let’s see how authentic it is.
I have been also tracking the uptime of my blog hosted on Bluehost with the help of the UptimeRobot tool.
Surprisingly, it was 100%.
You can see in the image above, it’s been around 1 and a half months since I started tracking, and there was no downtime recorded.
But this was just a performance proof of one Bluehost hosted site.
What about others?
I took the help of a real uptime tracker by HRANK, a trusted platform that tracks millions of Bluehost websites every day to bring you objective statistics about every hosting provider.
Bluehost Server Response Time:
Did you know Data Center (Server location) directly impacts the server response time? The closer the server is to your audience’s IP address, the better the website loading speed they will get.
Unlike other web hosting services, Bluehost never disclosed its server location to users. Yes, they won’t allow you to choose it as well during the website configuration process.
Quick Note: Bluehost offers a free Cloudflare CDN integration which means you don’t have to worry about server location. Cloudflare CDN ensures your visitors will get your webpage delivered from the closest data center possible.
To check server response time, I have used this amazing tool called BitCatcha. This tool basically sends automated traffic to the site from various locations which helps us to determine how well the Bluehost site performed in all scenarios.
Reviewing Bluehost Hosting Types & Pricing Plans
Bluehost offers exciting cheap plans with a lot of freebies included. Let’s explore more…
As of 2023, Bluehost offers a wide range of web hosting services including Shared Hosting, WordPress shared hosting, Managed WordPress Hosting, Dedicated hosting, VPS hosting, and WooCommerce hosting.
Bluehost Hosting Types
|Bluehost Hosting Types||Who Should Prefer & When||Pricing|
|Shared||Bluehost shared plans should be considered when budget is a problem and you are happy to share server resources among multiple sites. Perfect for small business sites, blogs, etc.||Starts from $2.95/mo|
|WordPress Shared||Suitable to WordPress users. Here, WordPress will be pre-installed and rest things will be the same as you see in shared plans.||Starts from $2.95/mo|
|Managed WordPress||The advantage of being “Managed” is included in WordPress plans. Highly optimized & performance oriented plans where the WordPress backend related optimization is done by the Bluehost engineers.||Starts from $19.95/mo|
|VPS Web Hosting||Good platform to host web applications. Dedicated CPU resources & root access is given.||Starts from $29.99/mo|
|Dedicated Server Hosting||Pick these Bluehost plans when monthly traffic exceeds 100k and high performance is the priority. One website would be allotted a whole server resource.||Starts from $89.98/mo|
|WooCommerce Hosting||WooCommerce is included by default and other essential features for eCommerce sites will be given. Hence 100% suitable for WordPress eCommerce sites.||Starts from $9.95/mo|
Bluehost Pricing Review:
- Bluehost offers 4 Shared plans: Basic, Choice Plus, Online Store and Pro plans
- Basic: This is the entry-level plan by Bluehost that has everything for your first site. For this plan, you will have to spend a minimum of $2.95 per month.
- Choice Plus: This is the most popular plan by Bluehost with added privacy, security features, and a free domain name benefit. The best thing about this plan is that it will cost you the same as the Plus plan i.e $5.45 per month.
- Online Store: This is the recently released plan by Bluehost specially for eCommerce store based sites. You will have to pay $9.95/mo for this plan.
- Pro: This is the most advanced plan by Bluehost best suited by growth seekers. Pro plan will facilitate you with more power with Optimized CPU Resources.But for this plan, you will have to pay $13.95 per month which makes it quite expensive.
- Despite cheaper plans, Bluehost has a bad renewal cost policy and some hidden charges. You can learn all of them from this Bluehost hosting plans post.
Which Bluehost Hosting Plan is more money oriented?
Out of all Bluehost plans, Shared hosting plans are widely picked by users because of the pocket friendliness, high level performance, and freebies included (Free domain, Free CDN, Free SSL).
I must say, pick WordPress shared plans because the advantage of WordPress optimization is included in the same pricing and features.
Anyway, these are the shared hosting plans offerings & features:
|Which Bluehost Plan to Choose?||Basic Plan||Choice Plus||Online Store||Pro Plan|
|Pricing||Costs $2.95/mo||Costs $5.45/mo||Costs $9.95/mo||Costs $13.95/mo|
|Free Domain (1 Year)||Not Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Websites||1 Site||3 Websites||3 Websites||5 Websites|
|Website Space||10 GB SSD||40 GB SSD||40 GB SSD||100 GB SSD|
|eCommerce Features||Not Included||Not Included||Included (Store Analytics & $450 Worth eCommerce plugins)||Not Included|
|Free SSL||Not Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Free CDN||Not Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Domain Privacy||Not included||Included||Not included||Included|
|Free Daily Backups||Not included||Included||Not included||Included|
|Automatic WP installation||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Dedicated IP||Not included||Not included||Not included||Not included|
|Discount||Upto 40% Off||Upto 50% Off||Upto 35% Off||Upto 20% Off|
Verdict on Bluehost Plans & Pricing: I feel, Except for the Pro plan, Bluehost shared hosting plans are value for money and you can choose any plan based on your needs. The only downside I felt is the lack of daily automated backup, free ssl & free domain name features in “Bluehost Basic Plan”. If you are having an eCommerce store, then choosing a “Online Store” plan gives you extra beneficial features such as Store Analytics, eCommerce plugins, etc.
How Bluehost Compared with Other Web Hosting Services?
If you’re really tight on budget then you can choose Hostinger which starts from only $1.79 per month. Not just in starting, Hostinger can save your pocket in further years because of low renewal costs compared to Bluehost.
We are using Hostinger on one of our side blogs and we genuinely found it very cost-effective.
2. A2 Hosting
If budget is not an issue then you can go for A2 hosting having Turbo Servers featuring up to 20X faster page loads compared to competing web hosting services. The shared plans of A2 are more rich feature wise than Bluehost shared plans. (You can learn more in A2 Hosting separate review post).
Few More Web Hosting Services You Might Wants to Consider:
Other Users Opinion About Bluehost
Want to find out the Bluehost reviews 2023 on major user review platforms? This section is for you.
As you can see above, on Trustpilot, Bluehost got an amazing customer satisfaction rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars from over 7,500 users.
As you can see above, on Capterra, Bluehost got an excellent rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
I have read a lot of Bluehost reviews on the internet, If I have to summarize all of them then this is what I found:
- Users are highly impressed with the Bluehost performance & security they get at affordable pricing.
- Not a single person feels difficulty in operating the Bluehost cPanel or completing the onboarding process.
- Users are die hard fans of Bluehost customer support. They are literally saying that you can contact Bluehost even in Midnight, they will respond in seconds for sure.
- Plenty of users have an issue with their confusion about what features or add-ons they should install or not. Bluehost has tons of tools in its marketplace and because of extra charges, users won’t feel motivated to buy them.
- 80% of them are complaining about the absence of manual data center selection options.
FAQs About Bluehost Web Hosting
Is Bluehost good?
Is Bluehost easy to use?
Absolutely! Automatic WordPress installation, 1-click SSL, CDN activation, and easy custom email creation, all these features make Bluehost an extremely easy-to-use web host for everyone.
What are the Bluehost hosting plans?
There are four plans for shared hosting, Basic, Choice Plus, Online Store and Pro that will cost you $2.95/mo, $5.45/mo, $9.95/mo, and $13.95/mo respectively.
Which Bluehost plan is best for beginners?
For those who want to start with 1 website, the Basic plan is sufficient for them. But if you are looking forward to hosting multiple websites, go for the Choice Plus plan.
Bluehost vs Hostgator which is good?
Which is better Bluehost or GoDaddy?
Bluehost vs Dreamhost?
Is the Bluehost domain free?
Yes, you will get a free domain for one year with Choice Plus, online store & Pro plans. The Basic plan doesn’t offer a free domain name advantage.
Is WordPress free with Bluehost?
Can I pay Bluehost monthly?
No, you will have to subscribe for at least a 12 months plan.
Is Bluehost worth the price?
Yes, Bluehost is worth every penny as you can get their hosting for as low as $35 a year where you’ll get excellent hosting features like free domain, SSL certificates, unlimited emails, and more.
Is GoDaddy better or Bluehost?
What are the pros and cons of using Bluehost?
We get a commission when you buy a product via our affiliate link at no additional cost.